THE BIG HOLE KIMBERLEY
Kimberley, Northern Cape 8300 South Africa +27 53 839 4600 http://thebighole.co.za/
150 years ago, the site of the Big Hole was a featureless, flat-topped hill. When word spread that diamonds had been discovered, thousands of prospectors, armed with nothing more than picks, shovels and hope, descended on Kimberley and created the largest hand-dug excavation in the world.
The Big Hole, Open Mine, Kimberley Mine or Tim Kuilmine is an open-pit and underground mine in Kimberley, South Africa, and claimed to be the largest hole excavated by hand, although this claim is disputed.
THE VISITORS CENTRE
The Visitor Centre tells the multi-faceted story of diamonds, this includes the of the people that sought them, the tools they used and the wealth they generated. In the Visitor Centre guest will have the opportunity to join a tour with a Site Guide.
- Trading Hours:
- Monday to Sunday (08h00 – 17h00) *CLOSED CHRISTMAS DAY
- Monday to Friday
- First tour @ 09h00 every hour thereafter
- Last Tour @ 16h00
- Weekend Tours
- Saturday to Sunday
- First tour @ 09h00 every second hour thereafter
- Last Tour @ 15h00
- The Big Hole Facility is wheelchair friendly
- No Fire arm or pets are allowed on the premises
- Qualified First Aid Staff on duty throughout the day
- For Group booking call 053-830 4417 (20)
- There were no results found.